FROM OUR CHAIR
Athens Democratic Party Chair Sean Parsons
Hello Fellow Democrats Election day is nearly upon and wow, what a year these last few months have been! It just seems like every election cycle becomes more urgent than the last. This election is no exception. For decades the GOP in Ohio has been doing everything they can to make Ohio a one party state. Whether it’s one extremist bill after another, redrawing district lines to maintain GOP power, or Frank LaRose to use his office to try and remove voter choice when Republicans tried to keep Tanya Conrath off the ballot. Ohio Republicans are doing their absolute best to do the absolute worst. Thankfully, we have a tool at our disposal to fight back: THE VOTE. Election Day is November 8, but you don’t have to wait until then. Vote today. Better yet, bring some friends with you and celebrate afterwards! Please join us on November 8 at 7:30pm at the Pigskin in Athens for our county election party. It’s an early opportunity to celebrate our candidates and the hard-working volunteers who continue to give so much of their time to support them and our community.
VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!
Our Democratic Ballot and Information about Issues 1 & 2
There are two proposed constitutional amendments on the ballot this November, Issue 1 and 2.
- For more information about Issue 1 go here.
- Issue 2, sponsored by Representative Jay Edwards, prohibits local governments from allowing noncitizens to vote in municipal elections and locks in a 30-day period when voter registration is disallowed before elections. This is the harshest such rule in the country, and threatens our 17-year olds’ longstanding right to vote in primary elections, if they will turn 18 by general election day. For more information on Issue 2, go here.
VOLUNTER OPPORTUNITIES – GET OUT THE VOTE!
GOTV – We need phone bank volunteers, door knockers and election day volunteers for these last critical days. Athens Dems knocked on 473 doors in Athens in three days this past week; let’s keep the momentum going! Who wins mostly depends on Getting Out The Vote!
- To Canvass/Knock on Doors
- Athens Dems knocked on 473 doors this past week. Let’s keep the momentum going! ODP – Canvass Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays or on your preferred schedule. Sign up here, or email Nat Flanagan Athens County organizer.
- Ric Wasserman campaign – Max Skove – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tanya Conrath campaign – tanyaconrath.com
- Distribute Campaign Literature at polling locations on Election Day. We will be looking for volunteers to stand at key polling locations to distribute campaign literature on election day, Tuesday November 8th. Shifts are 2 or 2.5 hours. To signup, go here. Instructions will follow for those who sign up. We can use your help!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
NAN WHALEY CANVASSING LAUNCH – 3pm today, Sunday October 30, OU Dems Office. Meet Nan and knock on some doors in support of all our statewide and local candidates. To sign up, go here, or just come! And bring your cell phone please.
ELECTION WATCH PARTY – 7:30pm November 8 at the Pigskin, 38 North Court St., Athens. Support our local candidates as they follow the election results.
Lunch & Learn
Since Lunch & Learn began in December 2018, over 145 Wednesday presentations have been health that have addressed federal, state and local legislation as well as issues related to racial, social and environmental issues. The L &L team will be taking a break after these sessions. We will be re-evaluating how Lunch & Learn will look in 2023. Want to have a role in L & L’s future? Contact Andrea Reik and Solveig Spjeldnes. Join us for Lunch & Learn every other Wednesday from 12 – 1pm via Zoom.
- November 2 – Debbie Phillips, Rural Action. Register in advance for this meeting.
- November 9 – Election Wrap Up. Register in advance for this meeting.
- December 14 – Ohio Statehouse Lame Duck Session. Register in advance for this meeting.
Tim Ryan Visits Athens
US Senate candidate Tim Ryan’s Workers First Bus Tour made a stop at Richland Avenue Park on Thursday, October 20.
Piper Perabo, Actor, OU Alum, and Activist at ACDP Office
Piper Perabo OU Alum and actor known for her roles in movies and TV including Cayote Ugly, and Yellowstone) returned to Athens Wednesday Oct 26 to launch the day’s very successful GOTV canvass. Athens Dems knocked on 473 doors in Athens in just three days last week, let’s keep the momentum going! Having Piper Perabo, activist, actor and OU Alum return to Athens to launch our canvass efforts Oct 26 was great, but we cannot rely on a celebrity to move us forward! We need all hands on deck to bring out the vote!
Breakfast Socials in Nelsonville and Chauncey Bring Out Our Neighbors
HUGE shout out to all who contributed food, time, and spirit to help convey “we care about our neighbors”. Our candidates were there to hear their concerns and questions.
OU Dems and ACDP Activists March in Support of Our Candidates in the OU Homecoming and The Plains Indian Mound Festival Parades!
Thank you to Patrice Beard and the many Democrats who marched in support of our local and statewide candidates in our many parades this season. Volunteer turnout was fantastic at each one. And of course we were joined by the OU Dems for OU Homecoming!
Our Fall ACDP Dinner was a Big Success!
After being welcomed by our new Athens County Democratic Chair Sean Parsons, the crowd heard rousing speeches from Candidates Tanya Conrath (for Ohio House district 94), Glouster Mayor Sam Sikorski, Ric Wasserman (for Athens County Auditor), Athens County Commissioner Lenny Eliason, and Taylor Sappington (for State Auditor). The live auction was great fun, with bidding wars for macaroons made by Tanya Conrath going for $1,000. Over $6,000 was raised in all. The October 12 event was catered by The Pigskin. Thanks go out to everyone who helped make this event a success!
OU COLLEGE DEMS CORNER
Here is what’s happening with the OUCD:
- OUCD members marched in the OU Homecoming Parade with several Democratic campaigns.
- Congratulations to:
- Julianna Rittenberg who in a special election was elected Vice President of OUCD.
- Ryann Davis who was admitted into the Law, Justice, and Culture Certificate Program.
- Julianna Rittenberg who in a special election was elected Vice President of OUCD.
- VP Julianna Rittenberg has been interning on Capitol Hill through the LGBTQ+ Victory Institute this semester in US Representative Sharice Davids’ office.
- OUCD hosted several grilled cheese fundraisers to help fund their annual trip to Washington DC! To donate, go to the OUCD GoFundMe link: https://gofund.me/4f86152c (also found on our Instagram).
FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER
The office has been very active! Many folks in for yard signs, asking about candidates and issues, holding meetings, assembling yard signs and making calls to voters. ODP and ACDP organizers, candidates and volunteers are launching of door knocking for candidates. The energy is high!! As I write this, there are three volunteers assembling Tim Ryan yard signs!
- Hours – These office hours will remain through the November 8th election.
- Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 3–6pm
- Wednesday 1-6pm
- The office will be open during the next two weekends! If the flag is up, we are there.
- Yards Signs – We still have them, so stop by and get one – or more!
Community Service Committee: Janalee Stock is looking for someone to take over as lead organizer after 5.5 years at the helm. If not a new chair to the committee, she needs a Co-Chair.. It comes with a guarantee of many “feel good” moments as serving our county in ways that make a difference is what Dems are all about! This past month volunteers stepped up in a big way between our Adopt a Highway litter pick up, the Chauncey Pancake Breakfast and the Nelsonville Rocky Boots get together. HUGE shout out to all who contributed food, time, and spirit to help convey “we care about our neighbors”.
Neighborhood Campaign Committee: We are so very proud of our committed volunteers! So many of you have volunteered with the Athens Dems for years! Your dedication and commitment is so appreciated. Your support has made a difference on the local and state campaigns. For Ric, Lenny, Tanya, the Ohio Supreme court sisters, Nan, Tim, Taylor and the rest of the state candidates!!! We will be sponsoring a volunteer appreciation event in early 2023. Thank you!
DONATE TO THE ACDP
We thank everyone who has financially supported the ACDP in the past. The fight to defend democracy and turn Ohio blue is far from over. If you have not donated recently to the ACDP, and have the means to do so, please donate today.
HELP US REACH MORE LOCAL DEMOCRATS AND INDEPENDENT VOTERS!
Know friends, family or neighbors who are not yet receiving our emails and Newsletter, but would like to? To add them to our mailing list click here, or forward this Newsletter to them, so they can sign up through the same link.